Chef Chuck's Rib Eye Steak


Happy New Year to my foodie friends!!


Why not start the new year with a big hardy steak. This time I was in the mood for a Rib Eye Steak. This huge 2 pound rib eye was plenty for me and my wife, we even had some left over for my sons steak panini. We are light meat eaters. The flavors that came out of the reduction gravy were sensational. The rich body of the Chianti, compliments the delicate sage, the sharpness of the gorgonzola and the sweetness of the shallots! This elegant tasting rib eye, made us feel like we were at the best restaurant in town, but were in the kitchen of the family chef, Chef Chuck. It's that good.


Rib Eye Steak
1 1 inch boneless rib eye steak 2-3 lbs.
1/2 cup chianti wine
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 ounces baby bella mushrooms about 6-8
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons shallots chopped
1-2 tablespoons gorgonzola cheese
3 tablespoons heavy cream
salt and cracked black pepper


Allow steak to achieve room temperature. Rub meat with extra virgin olive oil then salt and pepper both sides. In a heavy saute pan or cast iron on high heat sear
steak. Do not move or lift steak, for 5 minutes. Flip to other side for another 5
minutes. Remove steak and place on cutting board cover with tin foil and let rest
for 10-15 minutes. This will achieve a medium rare steak.
Gravy
Meanwhile start gravy add wine to pan and deglaze, (yum thats the flavor). Bring to a boil add broth, cream, sage, garlic, shallots, cheese, salt and pepper. Reduce to medium heat till its 1/2 its volume, stirring occasionally. Add any additional juice from your board to gravy then strain. In a separate small pan add butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil, saute mushrooms. Place mushrooms on steak and pour gravy over top with cracked black pepper.
Serves 2.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for topping by my blog! After reading every page of yours, I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am to see yours! I am an Italian gal, born and raised in New York. Unfortunately, much of our family and foods and traditions didn't make the trip out here with us! I have been trying to recreate what I remember... and now, with your blog I can recreate my childhood food memories! Oh what a great start to my New Year! Boy , I feel like a kid in a candy store today! Happy New Year Chef Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much and Happy New Year! Your comment was very impressive to me!
    Now I feel the same way because we share a heritage that seems to have faded. Because of our efforts we bring back sweet traditions our families have created for a long time.I am joyed to recreate these good times and memories for you. I am also glad I found you,and looking forward to sharing our recipes.
    Are you located in Arizona? If so I will be doing a live cooking segment on Arizona Midday,Jan 19 at 1:00 pm. Enjoy,Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am in Peoria! I will be watching on the 19th, and will even set the DVR just in case! Yes, it seems that a love of one's heritage, as well as connection to the heritage itself, has gone by the wayside. I have fond, vivid memories of life lived around the table, sharing delicious, simple foods, wine and story telling. My grandmother came to the US from Minturno, Italy, through Ellis Island in 1921. I am trying to find as much info as I can about both food and family... I want my children to remember who they really are! Look forward to hearing from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for watching. We have two mighty sons 24,22 years of age. They grew up at the dinner table with our traditons and they will certainly carry them on. They are both the most well rounded men you would ever dream of. I am sure your children will be the same! We visit Italy often,lot"s of family history! We were noble back then, True spelling Afflitto.
    Thank You Chuck

    ReplyDelete